Monday, August 13, 2012

Make-ahead idea: Alfredo sauce

I've found that my alfredo sauce (here is the recipe entry for it) freezes and re-heats very well. I store it in a microwave-safe plastic container.

As for how long a homemade alfredo sauce can be frozen, I've kept mine for over two weeks before. I've read and heard various answers from other people. Some claim that they've kept theirs for up to a year, others try to use it within three to six months.

When I'm ready to use it, I remove the lid and heat it in the microwave for one minute, enough to thaw it slightly. Then I transfer it to a small pot on the stove and heat it over a medium-high setting, stirring occasionally as frozen chunks melt. It always tastes as if I just made it.

On those nights when you want to make a simple, quick dinner, just boil pasta of your choice, drain, add the re-heated sauce, and maybe stir in some microwaveable broccoli pieces (a "steamer" bag variety works well).

No comments:

Post a Comment