Monday, July 16, 2012

Potato "fries" with garlic and black pepper

These are a variation of my oven-baked potato wedges. I really like those, but sometimes I crave more of a "fried" taste. I experimented one day by cooking the potatoes at a higher temperature for a little more time.

Ingredients:
  • Cooking oil spray
  • 4 medium-sized Russet potatoes
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Rinse the potatoes under hot water, then pat them dry with a paper towel. As with my other recipe, I cut mine into wedges. I do this by cutting off and discarding the ends, then chopping into thick circles. Then I lay each circle down and cut it into quarters or sixths.
3. In a large mixing bowl, stir the vegetable oil, garlic, pepper, and salt together. Add the potato pieces and stir again until all of them are coated with the seasoning mixture.
4. Lightly coat a baking dish with cooking spray - I use a 9 by 13-inch dish for most batches. Add the potatoes and try to smooth them into a single layer. If some overlap, it's okay. If there is any leftover oil/seasoning mix at the bottom of the bowl, I like to drizzle it over.
5. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove the dish, stir the potatoes, and bake for 25-35 more minutes. Some small pieces may be slightly blackened. If you don't like the taste of that, try baking for 20 minutes at first, then an additional 10-15 minutes if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment