Sunday, May 13, 2012

Pizza pouches

 I've heard of pizza egg rolls in the past but never tried them. I decided to do so since I had an extra pack of egg roll wrappers.

Ingredients:
  • 8 - 10 egg roll wrappers (I used Nasoya all-natural)
  • About 1 cup tomato sauce of your choice
  • About 1 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, or an "Italian blend" variety
  • 1 small can mushroom slices or stems and pieces
  • Water in a small bowl or cup (you will need to wet your fingers with it to seal the pouches)
  • Vegetable oil
  • Optional - 3/4 cup of a meat or vegetarian meat of your choice, such as chopped cooked bacon

Notes:
- I tagged this entry with "vegetarian" since I didn't use any meat ingredients in this batch.
- I added a bit of garlic and basil to my tomato sauce.

1. Open and drain the can of mushrooms. The can I opened had a few big pieces, so I spread them onto a small plate and carefully cut up the larger pieces with a knife.
2. Pour the tomato sauce into a bowl. Stir in the mushrooms and any optional ingredients you are using. Pour the cheese into a separate bowl.
3. Cover a counter or table with wax paper and lay out each wrapper. Place a large spoonful of cheese into the center of each one. On top of the cheese, add a spoonful of the sauce.
4. Fold the wrapper in half, then fold the edges almost all the way back over (see my three-step picture). Wet your fingers with water and lightly press along the seam to seal. Next, fold up the side of each roll. Seal with wet fingers again.
5. In a large skillet, heat enough oil to cover the bottom. Place each pouch seam-side down. After that side has browned (or even blackened slightly - I personally like them that way), use a spatula to turn the pouches over and cook the opposite sides.
6. After serving onto a plate, gently pat with a paper towel to remove excess oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment